Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Ice Dyeing

powdered dye on top of ice which was on top of the fabric


My sister just had to take this picture as I was tapping the powdered dye onto the ice.
I just spent a wonderful week with my sister, Marlene, in Auburn, California.  We played/experimented each and every day.  This is our journey into ice dyeing.  What a ball we had.  We soaked our fabric in soda ash.  Then manipulated the fabrics:  folded, tied, scrunched and set it on grates.  Placed ice on top and then sprinkled powdered dye on top.  At the last minute, I put in a treated t-shirt in the bottom of one of the pans.  Had I thought of it sooner, I would have placed clothing/fabric under the other as well.  There was a lot of run-off dye.  We covered the iced fabric to batch overnight.  And voila



This is my favorite!



And here's the shirt.
T-shirt that caught the run-off dye.
This is a technique I will use and use and use.  The fabric is wonderful - I just love the results.  And such an easy technique with such outstanding results!

Stay tuned for more of my sister's and my experiments.

3 comments:

Vicki W said...

What fun!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

I have to try this! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

looks like fun!