One of my groups I belong to firstname.lastname@example.org is holding a workshop following "Stitch Alchemy" by Kelli Perkins.
So I've been experimenting. Here are some of my first attempts. I've used muslin as the base fabric and watered white glue (I'm using all the glue I have in my art stash - Sobo, Alene's tacky, Elmer's). I didn't take notes on which is which. Oh, well. I'll go for the most inexpensive in the future - Elmer's I believe. I added various papers - napkins, printed tissue, book pages, dress pattern tissue. Sometimes I ended with a layer of tissue. Sometime I painted a wash when the glue was still dry.
Yesterday I collaged on more papers so I can start using inks to cover them.