Friday, January 21, 2011

Early Valentine's

When I taught 3 - 6 year olds at the local Montessori School, I handmade Christmas ornaments and Valentines every year for my little folk.  I enjoyed myself to no end.  I am very grateful and joyful when a former student or his/her parent tell me how my ornaments bring back fond memories of their pre-school days when the holidays approach.  I have continued making the ornaments for my family and friends. 

My sister, who she herself makes ornaments each and every year, reports that I forgot to post an image of this year's Christmas ornament.  I guess the anticipation of Max, my grandson, must have fizzled my brain, so here's the ornament.
The tree was bobbin stitched:  meaning the thick metallic was in the bobbin and the work was sewn with the front side down.  Make sense?????  I was real pleased with the design: simple yet elegant, if I say so myself.

Now onto the valentines - I created a mock up last year and decided to make a bunch of them for my "Valentines" this year.  Here's a bunch but not the whole bunch and then a single one.  The lace in this one and the ones I'm giving to my family is from my wedding gown.  Mother painstakingly sewn my gown with lots of lace on the cuffs and hemline.  Single motifs were stitched on the long, beautiful veil.  Time and the heat of the attic ruined much of the gown and veil, but not the lace!!!!  I've incorporated the lace in quite a few of my art projects.  There's still some left for another day.

So may you enjoy creating valentines for those you love.

2 comments:

zanylady99 said...

Loverly!!!! What a great recycling idea. Cheers

Dianne said...

I love both your little projects here Diane. The hearts are gorgeous!