Sunday, October 9, 2011

Another Fabric Portrait


One Plus One Equals Three by Diane Hamburg
This fabric portrait is one of my daughter, Kara, and her husband, Matt.  The photo was taken by a friend of Kara's while Kara was waiting for baby Max to enter the family.  The faces were done using Ellen Lindner's technique Double Reverse Applique.  The background was the challenge!  The show this was made for is entitled "Split Complements."  I had to design a background using the split complementary colors of the blue dyed fabrics I used for the faces.  After several tries, I ended up with a mixed media background - I collaged old book pages using matt medium and heat adhered painted silk organza on top of a dyed blue fabric that was painted using a stencil and Shiva oilsticks.  I'm pleased with my efforts.

And I am pleased to have received an Honorable Mention for this at my local Island Art Association's Nouveau Art Exhibit.

No comments: