Sunday, April 29, 2007
Florida Foliage I, 23x20", finished after a long resting period. Many moons ago I used Shiva paint sticks to rub a palmetto leaf onto my own hand-dyed fabric. I had tried to print the leaf by painting it and then turning it over onto the fabric but that didn't work. The leaf was too big and thick. The rubbing worked beautifully. I used different sticks for the color changes. I quilted the piece and hung it up. I couldn't decide what to do next. I photograghed palms and palmettos and printed them out on specially treated fabric, cut different fabrics and played with the arrangement. And left it hanging. Finally I decided it was time to finish it up and here is the result.